Ice House

This brick ice house was completed in November 1894. It replaced an earlier ice house built in 1866. The Shakers took advantage of the landscape and built into a hill side, using the natural insulation of the earth, keeping the south exposure to the sun’s rays at a minimum while the north side remained in shadow and was therefore cooler in the hot summer months. The doors are double and triple hung, and the windows are triple-glazed, both features that provide for more efficient insulation throughout the year.

READ MORE about the Ice House